On 3 December 1940, Air Directorate Order No. 212/1158 stipulated that the "South African Air Force Ensign was to be flown at all Air Force Stations together with the Ensign of the Royal Air Force". On 17 December 1940 a General Order created the first
UP WERE IT BELONGS, PATCHEN RETURNING TO THE SKY
The Patchen Explorer was conceived by the former Thurston Aircraft Corporation in the USA as a landplane version of its TSC-1 Teal amphibian. The development of both designs was financed by Marvin Patchen Inc, which retained the rights to the TSC-2 Explorer. The SAAF Museum now owns the one and only example of the Patchen Explorer in the world. Construction of the prototype was completed by Aerofab Corporation of Sanford, Maine, USA and the aircraft made its first flight on 13 October 1972 at the hands of test pilot Win Young.
24 GROUP ROYAL AIR FORCE CONTROL TOWER AND HEADQUARTERS COMPLEX
The declaration of War in 1939 and the introduction of radio communications led to the rapid expansion of Zwartkop Air Station. More Air Training Schools were activated throughout South Africa and the introduction of flying training on a very large scale at Zwartkop Air Station left 24 Group,
WATCH TOWER / CONTROL TOWER
Situated on top of Number 7 Hanger, presently utilised by the Zwartkop Fire Section, is the oldest Watch Tower / Control Tower in the Southern Hemisphere. The Watch Tower was erected here in 1927 when, in the interests of flying safety, a requirement was identified to exercise some sort of control over all the flying activities at the Air Station.